Texas has the third highest birth rate in the country, and Texas children account for one out every 11 children in the nation. As the childhood population rises in Central Texas, so does our responsibility to see these children raised healthy, educated and prepared for their future. The Family Strengthening Policy Center’s research shows that effective early parenting contributes to development of cognitive and social skills, positive relationship building, and stronger academic performance, with parenting practices accounting for up to 50 percent of the gaps in school-readiness.
Any Baby Can offers a variety of free and low-cost parenting classes.
“Our classes afford parents the skills to support their children and teach parents to be proactive, confident, appropriate role models,” saysAndy Miller, president and CEO of Any Baby Can. “These are skills you can’t put a price tag on.”
Any Baby Can offers these classes:
- Nurturing Parenting, a 16-week class series for parents with children ages 0 – 18 years old, focusing on stress management, family rules and effective communication. Advanced registration is required and space is limited. Attendance at all 16 classes is mandatory to complete the class requirement.
- Be Ready for Baby covers pre- and post-natal topics to prepare families for childbirth.
- The Family Learning Center offers tutoring for the entire family and is held every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- PALS (Play and Learning Strategies) is a 14-week program for parents with children ages 18 months to 4 years old and gives parents tools to support the learning and development of their children so they are ready to succeed in school.
- Infant Safety Education Classes, made possible by a partnership with Austin-Travis County EMS, provide tips for safe sleep, car seat safety, choking awareness, infant CPR and more for parents of children less than one year of age.