Austin ISD has been closely following the media reports and information shared by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about the Coronavirus (COVID-19). While no cases have been suspected in the local community, AISD continues to monitor the situation and will provide information as it becomes available from the public health authorities. Public health officials believe the risk to the school community is low at this time.
Based on the current information, health officials are recommending local communities and schools should take the same steps to protect against coronavirus as we take to prevent the spread of everyday illnesses like the common cold or the flu:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when sick.
- Cover the mouth and nose with the inside of the elbow when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
For more information, visit AISD.org.
For updated information from the CDC on coronavirus can be found at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
The most recent information about coronavirus in Texas may be found at: https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/.