ZACH’s Performing Arts School provides theatre classes, camps and training for students age 3.5 to Grade 12. Week-long classes run June 9-August 20. Financial aid available.
Camps for Age 3.5 – Grade 2:
• ACT THE STORY – Experience well-loved stories from the inside! Using acting exercises, art projects and imagination, students read a story and create their own version as an ensemble. On the last day, family and friends are invited to a sharing that showcases favorite acting exercises and stories. Camps include: Your Pal Mo Willems, Fantastical World of Roald Dahl, and Adventures in Wonderland.
• BROADWAY KIDS – This class is an active and fun introduction to the world of Broadway musicals. Students will act, sing and dance while learning famous Broadway material. Choose from Annie, Jungle Book. Frog and Toad, or Frozen!
Camps for Grades 3 – 5:
• CREATE-A-PLAY – This fun introduction to acting features morning classes in Voice, Movement and Design and an afternoon of developing characters, writing dialogue and creating plots for an original short play. On the last day, families and friends are invited to a demonstration showcasing your new theatre skills and a staging of your short play. Choose from Comedy, Hip Hop, Cirque, or Rockstar XII!
• INTRODUCTION TO MUSICAL THEATRE – If your student loves to sing, dance, and act, this class offers a chance to find out what being a triple threat is all about. Half the day is spent with an acting teacher learning theatre games, character creation, and story structure. The second half is spent with a vocal coach and choreographer learning the basics of voice and dance technique, working toward putting together a routine from Wizard of Oz, Shrek, or Annie!
• INTRODUCTION TO ACTING – This exciting class is for younger actors who are ready to start their training. Students will learn to create characters, build ensemble and use their voice to project and articulate while having a lot of fun.
Camps for Grades 6 – 12
• MUSICAL THEATRE BOOTCAMP – This camp defines “Triple Threat!” by teaching the skills to become a member of a musical theatre ensemble. Each day starts with exercises and technique points strengthening acting, voice and dance skills. The rest of the day is spent focused on the rehearsal process in which you sing, act and dance at the same time. By focusing on large production numbers, students are challenged to create backstory and meaning for characters, support the action of the musical number, and shine as individuals and as an ensemble. Class culminates in a revue of several numbers from Guys and Dolls, Newsies, Mary Poppins, or 42nd Street.
• ACTING INTENSIVES – In each Acting Intensive, students spend half the day with an acting coach learning the fundamentals of acting: pursuing objectives, overcoming obstacles, utilizing tactics and creating dynamic characters. The other part of the day is spent with a specialty teacher in Shakespeare, Audition Technique, or Improvisation.
• MUSICAL THEATRE INTENSIVE – Students work with a vocal coach and director/choreographer to study vocal technique and develop musical theatre skills. The last day sharing features 32 bars of an individual song, a production number and a showcase of acting skills. Choose from Cabaret, The Addams Family, Barnum, or Audition Technique.
Registration opens soon. More information at www.zachtheatre.org/education