This holiday season, auto burglars will be dashing through parking lots and streets doing their own window shopping. Austin Police Department wants to ensure that your gifts do not end up in the wrong hands. Auto burglars shop the easy way by stealing your gifts, purse, wallet, packages or other valuables that you leave in plain sight inside your vehicle. In Texas, a vehicle is burglarized every 2.5 minutes. Auto burglaries escalate during this time of year, when people increase shopping and don’t take the necessary precautions to protect personal items left in a vehicle. Don’t give a thief an opportunity to commit these crimes.
APD wants to remind you to protect your vehicle by taking precautions that will make your vehicle less of a target:
- Lock your car and take your keys – Don’t make it easier for the thief to enter your vehicle
- Park in well-lit areas – over half of all vehicle thefts occur at night
- Don’t leave valuables in plain view – don’t make your car a more desirable target by leaving valuables in plain sight
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings
- Avoid carrying a large amount of cash or credit cards